List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    arm changes to flash-kernel in qunatal
From:       ogra () ubuntu ! com (Oliver Grawert)
Date:       2012-05-30 11:02:06

hi,

over the last few releases debian rewrote flash-kernel (the tool to set
up, flash and configure bootloaders on arm devices) ...

Ubuntu always wanted to follow suit on this (the change was discussed
at the last three UDSes) but the arm team found out that many people use
customized versions of the shipped scripts which made us hold back the
change until the LTS was out ...

now that we develop for quantal we decided to make the switch before
the alpha 1 milestone to make sure it gets the most QA to be perfect by
final release (and to make sure that issues due to the change to
live images for ARM will not eat any manpower to fix the old
obsolete code) ...

so if you use a custom version, please get familiar with the new world
order ... if you had hacks in the old flash-kernel in Ubuntu, please
help porting them to the new design (feel free to contact me if you run
into problems)

and indeed since we plan to keep the delta to debian as small as
possible by doing this step, please try to get your changes into debian
too.

ciao
	oli