List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Quantal 12.10 Kernel Flavors
From:       leann.ogasawara () canonical ! com (Leann Ogasawara)
Date:       2012-05-29 18:30:51

Hi All,

With the Quantal 12.10 Alpha-1 milestone on the horizon, the Ubuntu
Kernel Team felt this would be an appropriate time to highlight and
publicize some of the restructuring efforts that have surrounded the
12.10 Kernel flavors:

  * As previously discussed in the 12.04 cycle [1] and approved by the
    Tech Board [2], the i386 non-pae generic kernel flavor has been
    dropped for 12.10.
  * We have re-named the generic-pae flavor to a generic flavor for 12.10.
  * We have collapsed the virtual flavor into the generic flavor
    offering for 12.10.

At this time I would also like to point out that we have modified the
kernel packaging for x86 such that the generic flavor is actually
bundled and delivered via 2 packages to allow support for both the
virtual and non-virtual instances and installations.  For a detailed
overview of the transitions which have taken place, please refer to the
thread on the kernel-team mailing list [3].  As a final note, for those
upgrading from Precise 12.04, the flavor changes should go unnoticed
assuming the appropriate meta packages have been installed.  If there
are any questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-November/034399.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TechnicalBoard/TeamReports/11/December