List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    assistance with ubuntu-docs bug
From:       mdke () ubuntu ! com (Matthew East)
Date:       2009-03-30 8:20:01

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:32:54AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> Let's see if I remember all this correctly, it's been a while since I
>> did anything substantial with maintainer scripts.
>
>> You need a preinst script to remove /usr/share/gnome/help/libs, if it is
>> a symlink, and the package is being upgraded. Create
>> debian/ubuntu-docs.preinst, with something like the following content:
>
> The problem is the opposite in this case; it was a directory before, now
> it's a symlink.

Sorry, that was my bad - I recounted the bug the wrong way around in
my original post.

> The principle is the same, but in that case you would
> ideally do the removal in the postinst because it preserves certain unwind
> scenarios (Debian policy 6.6).
>
> postinst:

{snip}

Thanks, I'll try that a bit later. I think I will try and publish the
fix in a ppa first so that some people can try and reproduce the bug,
and the fix - I don't have a system which was upgraded from Hardy.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org