List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    [RFC] apturl repository whitelist application process
From:       mvo () ubuntu ! com (Michael Vogt)
Date:       2009-03-24 19:37:12

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:24:49AM +0100, Alexander Sack wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the topics on the jaunty agenda was to come up with a process
> document that defines how third party repositories can apply for
> apturl whitelisting and how we can ensure that such repositories are
> of high maintenance quality. Based on various discussions we drafted an
> initial policy-like draft, which you can find below. Please comment.
[..]

After the initial RFC we updated the guidelines document to incoperate
the feedback that we received. The diff is available:
http://tinyurl.com/d42mfu

The full text is available here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyRepositoryApplicationProcess

The key points we adressed are:
* allow a exception for packages are maintained for lts releases only
  (they need to add a special tag)
* make the scope for packages that are considered for third party
  applications a bit broader
* for the case where running a launchpad project is not feasible, we
  added an option to use "ubuntu-third-party-bugs" as the fallback
* change the wording to reflect that its more a guideline than a
  strict policy

Cheers,
 Alexander Sack and Michael Vogt