List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    python2.6 related changes
From:       doko () ubuntu ! com (Matthias Klose)
Date:       2009-02-25 13:54:33

Matthias Klose schrieb:
> python2.6 is now in the archive and is added as a supported python version,
> python2.4 is dropped as a supported python version.

main is now built with python2.6 as an optional python version; there are a few
remaining packages which need to be rebuilt after 2.6 becomes the default. You
can find the remaining packages in

  https://edge.launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/ppa

After an update, it should be possible to remove python2.5. Note, that universe
still needs some work, but usually these are easy things:

 - .install files in debian/ referencing usr/lib/python*/site-packages. Make
   this usr/lib/python*/*-packages.

 - debian/rules referencing site-packages. To help selecting the correct name
   in shell snippets or wildcard rules, see some helper macros in
   /usr/share/python/python.mk.

 - distutils based installations (setup.py install) go into /usr/local by
   default now. Pass --install-layout=deb, or use the macro in python.mk.
   The packaging helper tools should handle the easy cases where one single
   binary package is built.

Currently running a desktop installed without python2.5. I would be interested
in feedback, but be prepared to find some edges, which I didn't find yet.

  Matthias