List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Server Team 20090217 meeting minutes
From:       kirkland () canonical ! com (Dustin Kirkland)
Date:       2009-02-19 17:18:10

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Mathias Gug [2009-02-18 20:46 -0500]:
>> kirkland gave a brief overview of the power management state for server
>> hardware: powernowd is installed by default on -server systems to enable cpu
>> freq scaling.

Martin-

I've been following that thread on ubuntu-devel at .

When I added it to the seed, the server was not yet using on-demand
cpu frequency scaling by default at boot.  Adding powernowd solved
that for us (at the time).

But yes, you are correct, Martin.  As of kernel 2.6.28-8.24, powernowd
should not be necessary.

I verified this on my Ubuntu server by uninstalling powernowd,
rebooting, and seeing that:

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand
$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
powernow-k8

And I have verified that Scott has removed them from the server seed.

Thanks, guys.
:-Dustin