List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Distributed development toolset (Re: ArchiveReorganisation and sponsoring)
From:       cjwatson () ubuntu ! com (Colin Watson)
Date:       2008-08-31 22:56:10

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:40:36PM +0100, Philip Wyett wrote:
> Maybe a trial set of maybe half a dozen packages that are in Ubuntu
> version control presently could be used as a test bed to see how much of
> an effect it does make over the development and package processes.

A number of us are already maintaining various packages in Bazaar:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BzrMaintainedPackages

Some people have had problems and have gone back to their old toolsets;
some people have been happy with it and find it speeds up both
collaboration and individual development.

Personally I absolutely swear by revision control for packages, and
indeed was trying to use it everywhere I could long before we started
considering the current plan for a global import of all packages. I've
been actively working to produce accurate imports of the various private
history archives I keep of my Debian packages into public Bazaar
branches simply because it's obviously superior to my current hodgepodge
of tools. (Note that I still use many of the "old" tools, e.g. debuild
and dupload, and plan to continue doing so as there's no reason they
should need to be superseded just yet; it's just that I also use
debcommit each time I make an intermediate change.)

Cheers,