List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Announcement: Xubuntu Meeting, March 26th @ 7:00pm UTC
From:       cody-somerville () ubuntu ! com (Cody A ! W !  Somerville)
Date:       2008-03-16 17:07:46

Hello Everyone,

 As you may or may not be aware, the Xubuntu project has unfortunately
been dealing with some difficult challenges as of late in regards to
consensus on Xubuntu's direction, focus, and vision. After a recent
disagreement over package inclusion and seed changes, several key
contributors have become so frustrated that they have decided to
withhold contributing to the Xubuntu project for the time being. With
Xubuntu already suffering from a lack of manpower, this new situation
will undoubtly (as already seen by some) seriously affect the quality
of the Xubuntu distribution. After meeting with Jono, I'd like to call
a meeting on March 26th, 2008 at 7pm (1900) UTC in #ubuntu-meeting
which will be chaired by Jono himself. The goal of this meeting is to
define a mission statement for Xubuntu, establish core objectives, and
develop a strategy to accomplish what we've set out in the hope of
resolving the conflict that currently afflicts the Xubuntu project.
Jono and I believe that once the Xubuntu definition has been arrived
at and more definitive procedures and policies have been adopted,
Xubuntu will once again be able to grow healthily.

 I encourage everyone with an interest in the Xubuntu project to come
and participate. Although we may not be able to arrive at 100%
consensus (something we all know is very difficult to come by), we
will be able to finally bring some tough questions that have plagued
Xubuntu for sometime to a close. If you're a MOTU-hopeful, MOTU, or
core-dev who has been thinking about contributing to the Xubuntu
project, now is an excellent time to do so. If you're one of the
frustrated parties, I hope you you're able to make the meeting - I'd
like to take a shot at addressing your issues.

 If you have any comments, questions, tips/suggestions, or concerns
then please feel free to contact me either via e-mail or IRC
(cody-somerville or somerville32).

 Thank you,

Cody Somerville
Acting Xubuntu Lead