List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    adept_manager opens UDP port 1024/1026/1028 - why non-local?
From:       franz.apeltauer () gmx ! at (Franz Apeltauer)
Date:       2007-05-06 16:38:03

Hi,

when adept_manager 2.1.2ubuntu26 is active, "netstat -tulpen" shows,
that it opens port 1024, 1026 or 1028 (changes with every startup of
adept_manager).

It does not only bind to localhost. I can connect to it from an other
PC, eg. with netcat. If I send garbage to that port, I see a short hard
disk access on the PC running adept_manager (maybe just a coincidence).
A packet sniffer shows me, that there is no answer from adept_manager.

Google could not tell me, why this port must be open. Probably there is
a good reason for it. Is it a feature or a bug or even a security leak
(unnecessary open port)?

cu
Franz