List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    man 7 undocumented
From:       mdz () ubuntu ! com (Matt Zimmerman)
Date:       2007-05-30 9:42:48

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:52:34AM +0100, Martin Peeks wrote:
> Taking a look at some of the manpages, I noticed that "man 7
> undocumented", which is suggested whenever a user tries to view the
> man pages where a package doesn't have them, suggests the Debian
> bugtracker/lists.  I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on
> changing it to point to Launchpad.

Good catch.

> On the one hand, Debian man page updates are often extremely useful
> for Ubuntu.  On the other hand, having a strange thing called "Debian"
> flash up on the screen for a user who through they were using Ubuntu
> might discourage the filing of reports.  Also, there may be Ubuntu
> specific notes to make in the manpage for the package, so a bug in our
> system forwarded upstream may be best.  YMMV - I may be talking
> nonsense ;-).

I expect that anyone technical enough to be working with man pages is
unlikely to be confused by this.  Since Debian has infrastructure in place
to try to avoid duplicate work, it's probably best to continue to point to
them, though of course users are welcome to submit man pages to Launchpad as
well if the MOTU team is willing to receive and handle them appropriately.

--
 - mdz