List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    question about ubuntu development tools
From:       olafra () gmail ! com (Olafur Arason)
Date:       2007-05-14 15:50:38

Hi

On 4/22/07, Koen Noens <koen.noens at telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to be barging in on your mailing list like this, but I would like
> to get some info that I haven't been able to find on the web.
>
> I like to do a bit of programming every now and then,and occasionally I
> come across 'problems' on the ubuntu forums that could be easily fixed
> with a simple GUI frontend to some commandline tools and a bit of glue.
> So, I'd like to have a go at making such gui's and I'm wondering what
> language / framework i should use. I mean, I could easily hack something
> up with a bash script and some zenity, but if Ubuntu usually uses C++
> and MFC for such things, my work would never be more than a quick and
> dirty workaround. I'd rather create something that fits in into the
> existing Ubuntu GUI.
>
> I read that Phyton is the language of choice, so I'll have a look at that.
> What should I be looking for re. the GUI components ? I found this list
> of frameworks and IDE's : http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
> but I don't know which one would be suitable for ubuntu devloment.
> Could you give me some direction ?
Python can be used as a shell script:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread30129.html
The gui that is installed by default in Ubuntu is PyGtk.
Eagle gui wrappes pygtk in an interesting way.
http://www.gustavobarbieri.com.br/eagle/
You might also want to read
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/
Which covers how to make your gui user friendly and not some
windows shareware monstrocity.

It's generally frowned upon to make a wrapper for command line
tools. Gui's should be thought of what it hopes to accomplish not
what that command line tool proviedes.
http://gequel.sourceforge.net/ is an example of a bad tool
http://www.wine-doors.org/trac seems to follow the hig and it's
written in python.