List:       ubuntu-devel
Subject:    Licensing and technical issues with a	Wine	package	that	includes the Mozilla ActiveX Control
From:       mike () plan99 ! net (Mike Hearn)
Date:       2005-11-29 7:39:44

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> A small detail, you can't call it _Mozilla_ Firefox, but you can call
> it Firefox.

Are you sure? I guess this has already been checked out with MozCorp, but
the policy says:

	Those taking full advantage of the open-source nature of Mozilla's
	products and making significant functional changes may not redistribute
	the fruits of their labor under any Mozilla trademark. For example, it
	would be inappropriate for them to say "based on Mozilla Firefox".
	Instead, in the interest of complete accuracy, they should describe their
	executables as "based on Mozilla technology", or "incorporating Mozilla
	source code." They should also change the name of the executable so as to
	reduce the chance that a user of the modified software will be misled
	into believing it to be a native Mozilla product.

It depends on how you define "significant functional changes" I suppose.
Still, it clearly says no Mozilla trademark may be used. From the FAQ:

	The Mozilla trademarks include, among others, the names Mozilla,
	mozilla.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, Bugzilla, Camino,
	Sunbird and Seamonkey, as well as the Mozilla logo, Firefox logo,
	Thunderbird logo and the red lizard logo.

Like I said, I doubt anybody will mind. They're pretty hot on making sure
the Firefox brand is only associated with official binaries, and I suspect
random patching is one reason why (preventing spyware-ridden rebundling
and stuff maybe another).

thanks -mike