List:       twsocket
Subject:    Re: [twsocket] TWSocket Digest, Vol 426, Issue 3
From:       <breezesoftware () mchsi ! com>
Date:       2011-06-03 18:29:53

>How much data do you expect in the buffer?
Maybe 1kB or so, is this something that I need to manage?
I was thinking that after reading the data via twsocket(sender).ReceiveStr
in the tWSocket.onDataAvailable method, the buffer is cleared or
overwritten.

The app is built with D4 so I believe ICSv7 is not an option.

The application was clearly frozen, if not completely, then nearly so.
Francois, I'll look into the infinite loop possibility.

Thanks to you both for reviewing and the suggestions.

Paul

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:43:05 -0500
From: <breezesoftware@mchsi.com>
Subject: [twsocket] Socket troubleshooting...
To: <twsocket@elists.org>

Hello All,

My ICS client socket application crashed when the host (not ICS based)
failed.

MadExcept captured the following. If this is meaningful to someone, I'd be
interested in any observations/suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

exception message : The application seems to be frozen.

main thread ($1168):

00556fed +00d WC.exe WSocket    5666  +2 TCustomWSocket.DeleteBufferedData
00557082 +012 WC.exe WSocket    5695  +2 TCustomWSocket.InternalAbort
005530ac +070 WC.exe WSocket    3318 +12
TCustomWSocket.HandleBackGroundException
005531ad +0dd WC.exe WSocket    3355 +23 TCustomWSocket.WndProc
005599ef +057 WC.exe WSocket    6903 +12 TCustomLineWSocket.WndProc
00553231 +051 WC.exe WSocket    3387 +14 XSocketWindowProc
0099fd5b +263 WC.exe WC7  457 +41 initialization

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:51:02 +0200
From: "Arno Garrels" <arno.garrels@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [twsocket] Socket troubleshooting...
To: "ICS support mailing" <twsocket@elists.org>

breezesoftware@mchsi.com wrote:

Hm, an unhandled exception occured somewhere and
TCustomWSocket.HandleBackGroundException called Abort which in turn called
DeleteBufferedData.

How is the freeze timeout set in MadExcept?
How much data do you expect in the buffer?

BTW: With latest ICSv7 you could enable MadExcept to catch unhandled
exceptions by calling procedure
SetIcsThreadLocalFinalBgExceptionHandling() with param
fehAppHandleException, i.e. in unit initialization section.

--
Arno Garrels

> Hello All,
>
> My ICS client socket application crashed when the host (not ICS based)
> failed.
>
> MadExcept captured the following. If this is meaningful to someone,
> I'd be interested in any observations/suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> exception message : The application seems to be frozen.
>
> main thread ($1168):
>
> 00556fed +00d WC.exe WSocket    5666  +2
> TCustomWSocket.DeleteBufferedData
> 00557082 +012 WC.exe WSocket    5695  +2 TCustomWSocket.InternalAbort
> 005530ac +070 WC.exe WSocket    3318 +12
> TCustomWSocket.HandleBackGroundException
> 005531ad +0dd WC.exe WSocket    3355 +23 TCustomWSocket.WndProc
> 005599ef +057 WC.exe WSocket    6903 +12 TCustomLineWSocket.WndProc
> 00553231 +051 WC.exe WSocket    3387 +14 XSocketWindowProc
> 0099fd5b +263 WC.exe WC7  457 +41 initialization

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:57:37 +0200
From: "Francois PIETTE" <francois.piette@skynet.be>
To: "ICS support mailing" <twsocket@elists.org>

> My ICS client socket application crashed when the host (not ICS based)
> failed.
>
> MadExcept captured the following. If this is meaningful to someone, I'd be
> interested in any observations/suggestions.

> exception message : The application seems to be frozen.

MadExcept tries to detect that an application is still responding. Actually
MadExcept has a thread to do that and it send messages to the main thread.
It is likely that your application is probably very very slow for some
reason when the host (not ICS based) crashes. Maybe your program enter an
infinite loop or something like that.

Beside madexcept message, what do you see ? Is you GUI still responding ?
MadExcept has settings to twek this detection.

--
francois.piette@overbyte.be
http://www.overbyte.be