List:       twsocket
Subject:    [twsocket] Re: SMTP errors - Part 2
From:       roger () chez-morton ! com (Roger Morton)
Date:       2002-03-31 21:29:02

In <NCBBKCMEIKCPJEFELPODOEIMFMAA.wilfried@mestdagh.biz>, Wilfried
Mestdagh wrote:

> euuuh what's importand is that let's look this from out of practical
> side. If
> there is a silent try / except around the FOnRequestDone should this
> help a
> developer (or we on mailing list try to help) more easy to find a
> bug. Take
> David's case as example ?

I think the really important thing is to warn users (programmers) that
calls to a component such as TSMTPCli may cause fatal exceptions to be
raised - I agree it's better to then let the programmer decide how best
to handle them, but it's surprising how often you see code in an
OnRequestDone handler that doesn't handle them at all.  In a way this
is just a gripe about documentation  :-)

At the top of TCustomWSocket.WndProc there are a few quite useful
comments explaining why there's a try-except block in it.  How about
putting something similar at the top of
TCustomSmtpClient.WMSmtpRequestDone, or even TCustomSmtpClient.WndProc,
(and likewise in other components) so people might be more aware of the
issue?

Roger Morton
roger@chez-morton.com