List:       twig-devel
Subject:    RE: [Twig-devel] Opening a twig3 cvs tree
From:       "Aaron Stone" <aaron () serendipity ! palo-alto ! ca ! us>
Date:       2005-03-31 22:52:40

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005, ""greg"" <greg@darkphoton.com> said:
[snip]
> 	If TWIG is "ole faithful" then we shouldn't change anything and stay
> exactly where we are, only put out bug fixes.  Projects eventually have to
> move on.  TWIG 3 will never happen if that is the measure of what we should
> do.

At one point you were advocating the opposite when I was advocating for
moving forward. The difference between then and now is that when I wanted
to start moving forward, we had enough developers to support two streams
of development. We don't anymore. We have barely enough to support one
stream, which is why...

[snip]
>> The move from TWIG 1 to TWIG 2 happened when the only people who depended
>> on TWIG were the ones developing TWIG. It was when TWIG was first being
>> written. Every project has that level of flexibility when it's that young.
>
> 	And that's what version numbers are for, major ones indicate that
> something has changed and that extra care should be taken.  The new prefs
> fit in to that category, we shouldn't wait to have everything and the
> kitchen sink in 3.0 but instead get out something that moves us forward.

.. we cannot support 2.x and this 3.x simultaneously. If we're only
changing Prefs as part of this major upgrade, then not long from now we'll
also be changing Config as a major upgrade, and there are more to come
after that. If each one is a major release, we're going to have a lot of
major numbers and a lot of dead realeases along the way.

In a nutshell, I think you're jumping the gun on this. I think that you're
not making clear plans, and I feel that you're sweeping away a lot of
concensus work that I did in the past and have already begun working on.

Aaron