List:       tux-list
Subject:    Re: CGI
From:       Marcus Gruendler <runner () tamalin ! de>
Date:       2001-04-08 21:48:54

On Sunday 08 April 2001 22:41, you wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Marcus Gruendler wrote:
> > > In recent TUX versions, TUX starts modules and CGI programs in a
> > > chroot environment (see: man 2 chroot). The new root directory is
> > > mapped to your $DOCROOT, which defaults to /var/www/html.
>
> I am using just a shell script. I have also tried executables which
> have been statically linked. I also have the libs in my /var/www/html.
> None of them works.

[...]

> Now I get the following when I access http://localhost/cgi-bin.cgi
> "The document contained no data ..."

[...]

> The test-cgi is a simple script:
> [root@server1 html]# cat cgi-bin/test-cgi.cgi
> #!/bin/sh

[...]

Mohammad,

Do you have a copy of the shell (sh) in /var/www/html/bin ? If not, just make
one. Since your script needs to be executed with /bin/sh and your new root is
/var/www/html you need a bin directory and a shell in this directory. The
directory structure of your libraries in your new chroot environment has to
be the same as in your "normal" system, but just underneath /var/www/html.

As I have not used CGI scripts with TUX I don't know if there is a bug in
current TUX versions, but I am using TUX modules which are chroot'ed as well
and everything works fine with them if I make a copy of essential directories
from / to /var/www/html.

You can check whether your script works in a chroot environment by doing the
following:

1. open an xterm (or another console)
2. create the directory /var/www/html/bin
3. copy /bin/sh, /bin/ls and /bin/cp into this directory
4. copy your script to some location underneath /var/www/html
5. issue the command: chroot /var/www/html
6. execute your script

And read the man pages about chroot ;-)

Bye, Marcus

--