List:       tux-list
Subject:    Re: [patch] TUX 2.4.2-P8
From:       Marcus Gruendler <runner () tamalin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-11 19:37:26

Hi Ingo,

Now tux runs _really_ nice, everything is handled well by netscape and tux
doesn't crash anymore when accessing a non existing module. Great!

Just one thing for your info, the P8 patch (or probably the ac17 patch) has
some suboptimal user/buffer/cache memory ratio. This leads to my machine
swapping very early, and kernel compilation is quite a bit slower as well.

Here are the results from the vmstat command right after starting my system
(128MB RAM):

with 2.4.2:

  procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
0  0  0      0  21212   4900  69120   0   0   117    24  233   458  18   9  73

with 2.4.2-ac17-P8:

  procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
1  0  0  10900   6224   4444  75800   0   0    37    13  149   372   7   3  90

But I guess this is not a problem of tux.

Anyway, thanks for the patching session on a sunday ;-)

Bye, Marcus

--
Marcus Gruendler
eMail: runner@tamalin.de