List:       tuscany-user
Subject:    Re: [SDO Java] IRC chat on release contents
From:       "kelvin goodson" <kelvin () thegoodsons ! org ! uk>
Date:       2008-02-08 16:14:21

Thanks for the summary Amita, comments below

On 07/02/2008, Amita Vadhavkar <amita.vadhavkar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please see below complete summary of the IRC chat we had on 4,5,6th Feb.
> The
> next one is as specified in previous response.
>
> There was an IRC chat where me and Kelvin participated on Feb 4th, 5th and
> 6th , 2008
> for SDO Java 1.1-incubating release. Below is the summary.
>
> 1) license files under distribution and sdo-api need to be
> reviewed/corrected
> as well as copyright text fro sources/resources under sdo-api need to be
> reviewed/corrected based on latest from OSOA and based on when the
> source/resource
> files are changed.
>
> 2) SDO Java will follow the same strategy of providing LICENSE files under
> src\main\resources\META-INF as before
>
> 3) http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/SDO+Java+Project
> is the place to find all unresolved JIRAs list marked for Java-SDO-next,
> Please see columns"Category" and "Comment" for summary of what was
> discussed
> in IRC.
>
> 4) Went through the list one by one and covered all JIRAs as below- ## are
> the ones which are important, need to discuss in detail on IRC and ML
> and see if can go in this release.
> must have:-
> 1]1293 - important, patch is available, need to review and apply the
> patch,
> if somebody with OSGI expertise can pitch in, will be very helpful

I don't think this is what I meant to convey.  I'm happy we've had excellent
OSGi skills assisting in the production of this patch,  so I think what's
required is for me to carefully understand all that's been done here and to
apply the patch.

2]1063 - useful - Kelvin
> nice to have:-
> 3]1862-workaround available in 1842 and no user issues on it so far

I don't think this is a nice to have,  I think it is a defer. Apologies if I
misled,  but there's a workaround in place,  and this sort of issue is an
unresolved topic for discussion in the spec.

4]1838-Amita will check the existing solution against the last comment from
> Ron in ASF JIRA comments - *Note* Please check Amita's comment in JIRA and
> respond.

I took a look at your investigations,  but won't have the time to analyse
them in depth before the IRC chat today.

*Kelvin's comment* If this facility for java serialization requires use of
> [...]
> 6]257 - Paul have suggestions, partial fix. Amita need to check it and try
> to get it in the release.
> Resolved------->7]1514 - Amita - ML[das] and reassign comp to sdo-impl ->
> Kelvin will do it - give test case and track which revision(564600) did
> the
> change
> 8]1688 - Kelvin checking with Ron, check EMF fixes and see subclassing
> 9]1689 - similar to 1688 , Ron's comments on 1688, 1689 will be helpful
> 10]1835 - ML to Fuhwei - ask more details,what constraints apply, what
> investigation led to conclusion about "appinfo" - record these details in
> JIRA
> 11]1868 - patch available, test case available - Kelvin will look at it
>
> 12]1659 - linux surefire logs available, can check from that, in Kelvin's
> debian env could not reproduce the problem. if issue is not revealed by
> logs
> alone,
> then time required to recreate will be large.
>
> 13]1831 - Amita will check, looks useful, can have caveats in that once
> you've made something pluggable they might diverge
> and therefore a 3rd party version might rely on implementation details
> that
> are subject to change
> or they might miss out on fixes that we apply to the Tuscany version. If
> we
> made that clear that it was the users repsonsibility to
> take vcaar of these issues, then it sounds like a good commmunity type
> thing
> to do
>
> ##14]761 - check during next IRC-Kevin - put comment in jira if it is
> still
> a requirement-Amita
> what is the memory cost of having to init number of HelperContexts?
> Each one has at constrcution an instance of all HElpers that require to
> manage their own state -- i.e. not CopyHelper or
> EqualityHelper,  but all the others . The state of each of these helpers
> is
> not large until you start registering types
> so i think there would only be significant cost if there were  duplication
> in storage of metadata across typehelpers
> so the problem with multiple HelperContexts would be when loading XML
>
> 15]1182 - get tech findings from kelvin , see if anybody pops up, license
> side is clean, there are other examples of use of this in apache
>
> ##16]1361 - check on next IRC - *Kelvin* , check in IRC, easy, significant
> user impact
>
> 17]1360 -
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg26306.html make
> comment in JIRA about both approached and apply 1360-Amita.patch.
> This was all the business where EMF has an issue that it cant handle the
> empty string as a valid enumeration. Make that comment in JIRA and then
> apply the 1360-Amita.patch. Wait for one day for Kelvin's response on ML ,

sorry,  didn't get to it.  I'm pretty sure that i was leaning towards your
approach, at least in the short term, because of the EMF deficiency that
surfaces in the more elegant approach.

> next release:-
> 18]1725-the scope is big and better justice can be given in next release,
> test schema is provided but no test code, javajet experience is useful
> here
> 19]1479 - Frank has suggested a workaround. And final solution can be
> supporting "large model" pattern similar to EMF
> 20]1180 - nothing done on spec, the workaround is not to use r/o
> properties
> 21]203 - minor JIRA with workaround and no watchers
> ##22]1002 - kelvin want to check on it in next irc, ideally should be
> resolved. so if time permits try to get it in this release.

this gives mixed messages since it is in the "next release" section.   I
think that's because I'd like to see it done, but can't imagine getting to
it in the short term.

23]1129
> 24]477- defering to see first the spec discussion, also there will be
> performance hit

25]1433 - there will be performance hit
> 26]182 - check with Sebasitien and Frank on ML and mark their responses in
> JIRA comment - Kelvin

I added the SCA Assembly Model component to the JIRA to bring this back on
the SCA radar

27]1817 - too big