List:       turbine-user
Subject:    Problem with TurbineAvalonComponentService
From:       "David Wynter" <david () roamware ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-29 21:51:20

I have 4 services using the AvalonComponent service. The standard Torque use
of it and 3 other. For one of them I use exactly the same lookup calls the
other 2 I have added to Turbine.  It looks like this

			TurbineAvalonComponentService tacs = (TurbineAvalonComponentService)
TurbineServices.getInstance().getService("AvalonComponentService");

			try {
				blissedservice = (DefaultBlissedManager) tacs.lookup(
						"com.blah.rwtransform.avalon.blissed.BlissedManager");
			} catch (ComponentException e) {
				log.info("Failed to load the Blissed component - " +
					e.getMessage());
			}

The problem occurs in Excalibur, everytime the lookup is used it calls the
services' Initialize method, which is incorrect. If my understanding is
correct the service should have Initialise called once when starting up, not
each time it is looked up.

Trouble is that it seems that Excalibur is deprecated in favour of Fortress,
so I cannot get the source code anymore to trace into it to find out what is
wrong. Does anyone have the source code? Also why is Turbione using this
deprecated container?

I am on JSDK 1.4.1, W2K and Turbine 2.3

Thanks,

David Wynter