List:       turbine-torque-user
Subject:    Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
From:       Thomas Fischer <tfischer () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-12-30 10:09:20

An out of memory error is typically very difficult to pinpoint. The place
where this error occurs is typically not connected to the place where the
problem sits. Personally, I know of two ways of dealing with this
- you can have an idea what happens. The answers before have provided
situations where OutOfMemory-Problems typically happen.
- If you think that none of the typical causes apply to you, you have to
find out the hard way. To get an idea of the cause of the problem, create
a heap dump of the virtual machine just after an OutOfMemory-Error occured
(on linux, this is done by using the "kill -3" command on the appropriate
process). Then, scan through the heap dump to see which objects occur most
often. These are usually the objects which are not dereferenced and cause
the memory overflow. Then go through the code and find out where these
objects are created, and why they are not thrown away after being used.
You might need more information out of the heap dump than just the class
names of the relevant object; there are tools showing the refences out of
heap dumps but I never used one myself.

    Hope this helps,

          Thomas