List:       turbine-torque-dev
Subject:    RE: DBDesigner2Torque XSLT
From:       "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Monroe () DukeCE ! com>
Date:       2006-06-20 21:11:01

Hi Thomas,

I did some quick & dirty testing of this using the test-schema.xml
from the test-project, xsltproc and tidy.  Used D4 to reverse
engineer the test DB (from an MS SQL server), then converted the
D4 XML to nice looking Torque XML using xsltproc and tidy.

FWIW: Here's a tidy config that works nice:

  indent: yes
  indent-spaces: 2
  wrap:   180
  input-xml: yes
  hide-comments: yes

Anyway, it was pretty neat, the conversion got it about 80% right.
A great typing time saver!

Some issues I noticed were:

A lot of fields were mismarked with "required=true" options.
I think this may be an artifact of the D4 generation, but I'm
not sure.  Just something for others to check.

In a comparison of the types_primitive table (new with my set*
methods patch), some of the types did not map correctly.

Torque Type    D4 conversion Type
LONGVARCHAR -> TEXT
DATE        -> TIMESTAMP
TIME        -> TIMESTAMP
BINARY      -> BIGINT
VARBINARY   -> LONGBLOB
LONGVARBINARY->LONGBLOB
BLOB        -> LONGBLOB
CLOB        -> TEXT
BOOLEANINT  -> INTEGER
BOOLEANCHAR -> CHAR
DOUBLE      -> FLOAT

Some of this may be my using MS SQL instead of MySQL.

It did seem to generate foreign keys correctly but I
don't think the tables were done in the correct order.
E.g., foreign key source tables being defined before
the foreign key users.

All in all, I think it's pretty close, if not better,
than what you get from the ant jdbc task.

Thanks for sharing this.

Greg

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential \
communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely \
for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended \
recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we \
ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to \
the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  \
Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is \
strictly prohibited.