List:       turbine-torque-dev
Subject:    Re: SVN reorganisation complete, new site deployed
From:       Thomas Fischer <tfischer () apache ! org>
Date:       2005-08-25 21:28:53

Henning,

well done. I really like the new repository layout. The ugly build tricks
have gone now (and also my brand new ugly excludes for the maven plugins
in the dist:build-bin target :-))

I ran the runtimetest for mysql and postgresql from the new torque/trunks
svn directory and they run witout any errors.

The new site structure is also good. The idea with a wrapper site and the
different releases linked below is much better than the old layout. Also,
the new Torque front page page stressing what Torque can do is really
nice.

However, in the section describing the generator, I'd like to put less
emphasis on the capability of the generator to generate a schema from
jdbc, as this only works for the most simple cases (for example, blob
data and date fields are not working well (if at all) at the moment)
So I'd suggest to change the text from

> The generator contains ant tasks which generate e.g. XML schemata from
> your database or building Java classes from the database description.
> The generator is needed at development time to create the O/R peer
> classes that allow your application to access the database.

The generator creates the O/R peer and object classes that allow your
application to access the database. It also generates SQL scripts to
create the tables in your database.

if you do not object to that.

Then, in my opinion, we should move some stuff from the runtime subsite to
the main site. E.g. the tutorial is certainly not only covering the
runtime, but the whole of Torque.

I will also look through the site, update stuff about the directory
structure as I find it, and also move some bits around if they seem out of
place. But I'm afraid I cannot match your speed, so this will take
some time.

     Thomas