List:       tuhs
Subject:    [TUHS] raise of interrupt level necessary
From:       helbig () Informatik ! BA-Stuttgart ! DE (Wolfgang Helbig)
Date:       2002-12-07 22:33:23

Hi,

While studying the V6 kernel, I search for some rules as when to raise
the interrupt priority level (IPL). I came up with something like this:
A kernel process needs to raise the IPL if a change of data must be atomic and might
be accessed (not necessarily changed) by an IRS.

In light of this rule, some raising of interrupts seem unnecessary:
- In m40.s changes of the user space segmentation registers are bracketed by raising
and lowering the IPL, although these registers are never accessed by an ISR.

- Likewise, in m40.s, just before the trap routine checks the runrun flag and
restores r0, r1 and the user stackpointer, it raises the IPL. I can't see what
possibly should go wrong, if being interrupted while restoring the values.

I'd appreciate any help from someone with more experience in kernel programming.

Greetings,

Wolfgang Helbig