List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    ftp problem (Incorrect passwd)
From:       Tru64 User <tru64user () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 19:18:14

ftp 'ing from system xxx to ppp,yyy,zzz does not give
passwd prompt, just shoots "passwd incorrect" after
prompting for username. Even if I do it on one line,
"user mollel password vzxcvzx", same problem.
Seems problem is on xxx, since it is behaving the same
ftping into zzz, ppp. All others server are ok ftp
'ing into each other. I can ftp fine from yyy to xxx
however, so I am using it that way. Archives have
posted similar problems, but couldn't locate solution.
running 4.0G on xxx, 4.0F on yyy, xxx personal
workstation 433au, yyy is 4100. Turned debugging on
and produced the output below. yyy,ppp,zzz run c2
security, xxx doesn't.

Any clues/fixes/suggestions are welcomed.
Output from ftp below:

xxx@/usr/home/mollel$ ftp
ftp> debug
Debugging on (debug=1).
ftp> open yyy
Connected to yyy.com
220 yyy.com FTP server (Digital UNIX Version 5.60)
ready.
Name (yyy:mollel):
---> USER mollel
331 Password required for mollel.
---> PASS XXXX
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: Digital UNIX V4.0 (Rev.
1530)
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

2. (If U have extra time, I can do without it, but
would be nice to know how to fix this)
extra issue/nuisance: (xxx is a test machine): I
cannot display man pages for anything. Comes back:
xxx@/usr/home/mollel$ man ls
No reference page found for ls.
xxx@/usr/home/mollel$

_Thanks in advance, once again.

=====
Richard F. Mollel
Systems Administrator
SAIC
Greenbelt, MD
Experience is what allows you to recognize
  a mistake the second time you make it.