List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Spontaneous Crashes
From:       LEE Starlink Manager Account <star () sunstar4 ! leeds ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-12-03 11:18:57

Hello managers,

I have a problem with a dec alpha 255 which I recently upgraded to 4.0f,
installed the Patch Kit. Firmware version 5.5 revision 6.6.

The machine was working OK a while ago with an HP DAT drive and a Quantum
DLT drive and L200 Powerstore 8 tape autoloader attached to it.
I would very occasionally get a system crash during a back up to the DLT.

I recently re-installed the operating system to implement recommendations
from the sys_check utility.

Now I find that the system crashes every time I try to do a back-up using
either of the tape drives. This morning it seems to have crashed for
no reason at all. I can't find any information anywhere about the crash.

Does anyone have any idea where I might start looking for the problem.

Gareth.

 Gareth Batley,   Tel: +44-0113-2335180  Email:      gab@ast.leeds.ac.uk
 Leeds University      +44-0113-2336691         gareth@amsta.leeds.ac.uk
                  Fax: +44-0113-2429925           (star@ast.leeds.ac.uk)