List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    HSZ70 and HSG80 controllers
From:       Karen Byrd <BYRD () mscf ! med ! upenn ! edu>
Date:       1999-02-26 16:26:28

We have questions with respect to using these controllers
in ESA10000/ESA12000

1) We've gotten conflicting info about this.

Can we create a RAID 5 array then "partition" the array
and present it to several different machines as different
disks? That is, could we make such a RAID 5 array from 3x9GB
drives, then give several machines a piece of that to store
OS files?

2) Re: switched fibre channel using the HSG80 and redundancy

If we have two Hubs, can we cross connect them so that each controller
is attached to each Hub?

In two-hub/two-controller scenario could we attach half of our
servers to one hub and half to the other, and in the event of a
hub failure simply replug the server cables from the failed hub into the good
hub?

Karen Y. Byrd				C511 Richards Bldg.
Systems Manager				3700 Hamilton Wlk.
Univ. of Pa.				Philadelphia, PA 19104-6062
School of Medicine			Voice: 215/898-6865
Information Services       		Fax: 215/573-7645
and Operations Group			byrd@mscf.med.upenn.edu
HISD/UPHS				karen@mail.med.upenn.edu