List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    DEC 3000 Model 300 Service Guide
From:       Robert Benites <benites () cs ! unca ! edu>
Date:       1998-12-30 20:10:49

We have several DEC 3000/300{,LX} systems in house and they are
gradually starting to fail.

Recently, while tring to bring them up after a power outage or some
like occurence, they've taken to stopping during power-up tests
displaying an error code in the console LEDs. These LEDs are supposed
to indicate some kind of error. The "Hardware Reference Guide for the
DEC 3000 Model 300 Series AXP" has an *extremely* limited list of of
those error codes. For example, there is a huge range in the Reference
Guide: 0xf0 through 0xff and 0x20 which is labeled "SROM Power-up
sequence". One error, 0xf4 was displayed and we found out quite by
accident that the monitor was bad.  The aforementioned Guide
references another document "DEC 3000 Model 300 Series AXP Service
Guide."

We've checked at the Digital/Compaq web site and found nothing. Does
anyone have the full list mentioned in the Reference Guide? It might
have saved us a lot of time if we'd had the full list.

Thanks!

-- Bob Benites