List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY:  How to newfs HSZ70 filesystems?
From:       Judith Reed <jreed () wukon ! appliedtheory ! com>
Date:       1998-09-30 16:39:48

I had described errors newfs-ing an hsz70 device:
> # newfs /dev/rrz32c
> Error: /dev/rrz32c is an invalid device or cannot be opened.
> Quitting ....

After having Dr. Tom Blinn point out that I provided woefully inadequate info,
I groveled and emailed him back better info on the problem, which he examined
and declared he saw no problems. He suggested I try to newfs a smaller
partition
on rrz32, on the chance that it was a size problem (it is a 15GB logical disk)
although another DEC correspondant confirmed he has newfs'd up to a 100GB
disk, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I began by newfs-ing rrz32g, which was 7GB, and then editing/re-editing the
disklabel till I was newfs-ing an almost 15GB partition. I then retried the
original command:
	# newfs /dev/rrz32c
and it worked like a charm. Why?? Not a clue.
So, the problem went away as mysteriously as it came.

Some other correspondants had some good suggestions of things to check:
- "Have you created the entries in the /dev ?
(e.g. cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV rz32)"
	- we had the device already

- "Maybe you must add an entry to the /etc/disktab file."
	- there is no hsz70 entry in /etc/disktab, but the system does not
	  seem to care, now that it works.

- "Can you access the device /dev/rrz32c ?
(use dd if=/dev/rrz32c of=/dev/null count=20)"
	- this was suggested by 2 people.

- "From scu(8) a "tur" (Test Unit Ready) might be informative."

-"When you issue the commands:
	scu -f /dev/rrz32c show device
and
	scu -f /dev/rrz32c show capacity