List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Micropilis 1991NT -- does it work?
From:       Gyula Szokoly <szgyula () tarkus ! pha ! jhu ! edu>
Date:       1997-06-28 23:52:45

Hi,

  We have a 3000/600 with lots of 9G disk drives (narrow ones, both
Seagate and Micropolis). One of the Micropolis 1991 developed problems
and Micropolis replaced it with a 1991NT. This is a 3.5" drive at
7200 RPM (as opposed to the old one, which was 5.25", 5400RPM).
This one failed. The next one also failed. Before calling Micropolis
again, I'd like to ask: does this (new) model work at all in this
configuration? The problem is that after installing it, in about
10 hours the drive activity light comes on and stays that way.
No I/O is possible. 'scu show sense' report that everything is OK.
On the other hand an 'scu verify media' reports 'XPT SCSI IO failed',
CAM status = CAM SEL TIMEOUT (0xa) -- target selection timeout.
The bus is properly terminated, the bus is short (only two external
drives in a dual enclosure).
  SO: Does this drive work for anyone (Micropolis 3.5", 7200 RPM, 9G
-- 1991NT)?

Thanks,
  Gyula