List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Alpha 3000 M600 machine panics
From:       Michael Boer <boerm () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       1996-09-30 22:18:57

Dear Managers,

I've been working with DEC support since early May of this year, trying to
find and fix whatever is the cause of a series of 72 (and counting)
"Machine check - Hardware error" panics.

This started a few days after I upgraded from 32 to 64 megs of RAM.  We
first swapped through and tested all the SIMMs.  Then we replaced all the
SIMM holders.  We have also replaced the PMAGD-AA video card.  I have also
upgraded the OS from 3.0 to 3.2C and the firmware to 6.4.  The longest
uptime we've had since May 9th is 9 days.  The panics occur at all hours
and often do not correlate with any known system activity.

That's the short version of the story.  If anyone has had similar
experiences and/or has any suggestions on what to try now, I'd love to
hear from you.  If you'd like to see a typical crash data file, just ask.

[X] Michael Boer | boerm@u.washington.edu | 206-543-8262
    Web Custodian | <a href="http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/">
    National Network of Libraries of Medicine</a>