List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Summary: 2 Monitors on one station???
From:       Sable - Hendrik Roepcke <alpha () jungle ! toppoint ! de>
Date:       1996-09-29 13:23:00

I got several answers, thank you all...

with the answer of the CSC supplying a list of comaptible grafic-cards
and station types I choosed t buy simply an additional ZLXp-E1

Bye

Hendrik

From: <r_nagaraja@actew.oz.au>

Yes. We have 21 inch Digital VRT-21 monitors with one mouse in between
monitors.

 Regards

Raja Nagaraja

From: BigRedDog <ckrieger@latrade.com>

I had this working at my last job.  This is not a problem, just install
the video cards as usual.  The Xserver recognizes them just fine.  The
only problem we had was that each screen was addressed seperatly.  You
could move the mouse from one to the other just by dragging it, but you
could not move windows between screens.  Nor could you have a window
straddle screens.  For example, if you had a machine called bigreddog,
and you wanted to have an xterm appear on the middle screen of three, you
would do this:

/usr/bin/X11/xterm -d bigreddog:1

:0 would be the left screen, and :2 would be the right screen.

Enjoy,
-cliff

From: <r_nagaraja@actew.oz.au>

I think you have to get two separate graphics cards for each of the monitors.
It is working on our Alpha station here using DU3.2c. No drivers needed.

Raja Nagaraja,
Canberra Australia

From: Marc Bejarano <beej@media.mit.edu>

don't see any reason why it should be a problem.  i have two heads on
some 3000/400's, but this is the old turbochannel architecture.

marc

From: Paul Henderson <pgh@unx.dec.com>

Well, I have three on my Alphastation 200. You just need an additional
graphics card per monitor.

Paul Henderson                  email: henderson@unx.dec.com
Digital Unix Engineering      decMail: unxa::henderson

From: "Nicci Roth" <nicci@ny.ox.com>

Hi Hendrik,

I tried to connect two monitors to my alphastation using PB2GA-JA Trio64 S3
2-MB Dram Graphics PCI cards and quickly found out that these cards and
alphastations do not permit the use of two monitors.  It's the way the cards
are configured that makes this occur.  Supposedly Digital is coming out with a
card that can be used *with* the PB2GA-JA but not as of yet.  I think if you
go up to the next level (like the PowerStorm models) you can use two of them
but check with your rep to be sure.

Hope this helps.
Nicci

----Nicci Roth--****---*****-----**------OTA LP--------
-----phone:----*----*----*------*--*---914/694 5800----
-------fax:----*----*----*-----******--914/694 5831----
-----email:----*----*----*----*------*--nicci@ox.com---
----------------****-----*---*--------*----------------

From: "Jeffrey G. Micono 9409 (Ktech)" <jgmicon@sandia.gov>

It is not possible with Matrox ISA Mach 64 cards (I've tried!).
You can't get the EISA config utility to recognize both
cards.

I believe it is possible with the PCI ZLXp cards. Of
course, these are more expensive.  I'm not sure about
the EISA Compaq QVision 1024E.  The DEC manual for these things
says multiple ones can be used in one box.

BTW, the company line at DEC is that multiple graphics controllers
on servers is not possible.  For instance, no multiple graphics
controller on the 2100 server, but OK on the AS 600.

Jeff
     Jeffrey G. Micono                            505.844.6767
     Ktech Corporation                            505.268.3379

here is my original question...

Hello,

we are planning two connect two monitors to one of our
alpha-stations...

is that possible? are there twin-cards for alpha?
are there any drivers for DU?

Is it working anywhere? problems?

any hint wanted..

Hendrik

PS: There is always to less space on my desktop ;-)