List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Repost: Cannot delete a fifo created with mknod and truss or
From:       Guy Dallaire <dallaire () total ! net>
Date:       1996-09-30 14:37:47

I think my ISP's mail server crashed (again!) yesterday when I posted my
e-mail, so I'll repost. Sorry for the inconvenience if you receive that mail
twice...

Question 1)

Under DU 3.2D, a programmer from the development team created a fifo (named
pipe) in his home directory with the following command:

        /sbin/mknod my_pipe p

After having used the pipe, he later decided to remove it with the following
command:

        cd $HOME
        rm my_pipe

Result: no error message, but the my_pipe file is still there ! I had to log
on as root to 'rm'ove it. Is this a normal situation ? I think not.... If
someone could try this on his/her machine, I would be glad to hear about
your results.

Question 2)

I wanted to see the systems calls that were generated by the rm command to
discover what was going wrong. Someone told me to use the "truss" ou "trace"
utility to do that. None of these is present under DU. Is there an
equivalent and/or freeware somewhere that could help me. I know that the
truss utility is present on various UNIX systems (eg.: SunOS)

                                        Thanks in advance !