List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    HELP: Cannot delete a fifo pipe except when logged as root
From:       "Guy Dallaire" <dallaire () total ! net>
Date:       1996-09-30 1:46:05

Hi,

A programmer here just created a fifo pipe by using the following command:

/usr/sbin/mknod test_fifo p

After using that pipe, he decided to remove it with the following command:

rm test_fifo

Result: No error, but the file is still in his directory !

I had to log in as root and delete the file in order to fix it. Is this a
bug with Digital UNIX. Please test on your systems and tell me is it works.

Thanks !

P.S.: Is there an equivalent to the "truss" or "trace" utilities on Digital
UNIX ? These utilities display the system calls issued by a process. Other
UNIX variants have these utilities and I'm wondering why DEC does not seem
to have it...