List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    RIS-Installation of DU4.0 from V3.x servers
From:       "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb () zk3 ! dec ! com>
Date:       1996-06-28 14:08:43

> this week i've got my copy of DU4.0.
> Yesterday i've tried to install DU4.0 on a client-system via RIS from
> our Server (DU3.2D-1), but this completely failed.

As you figured out, the format of the CD has changed between V3.2x and V4.0.

I haven't personally waded through all the fine manuals, but I got out my
V4.0 guide to sharing software and read section 3.1 and it tells me what
you needed to know: there is a special set of software on the V4.0 kit
that you need to load onto your V3.x server.  (The release notes explain
that V2.x is too old to set up V4.0 for RIS.)

So, read the fine documentation (as you always should).  We go to a lot of
trouble to prepare it, and I can't imagine anyone managing a Digital UNIX
system successfully without access to the documentation.

Hint:  Mount the first CDROM (Operating Systems Volume 1) on a mount point
such as /mnt; then issue this command:

	# /mnt/isl/utilupdate -r -m /mnt

where you replace /mnt with your mount point if it's different.  This will
update the RIS utilities, setld, etc. with compatible versions that work on
V3.x to support the V4.0 format of distribution media.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20   Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering           Phone:  (603) 881-0646
    Internet: tpb@zk3.dec.com           Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                         -- Phil Agre, pagre@ucsd.edu

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.