List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY : RIS-Installation of DU4.0
From:       "S.Hergeth" <hergeth () f7axp1 ! informatik ! fh-muenchen ! de>
Date:       1996-06-28 12:51:35

S.Hergeth wrote:

> Hi DU-Managers,
>
> this week i've got my copy of DU4.0.
> Yesterday i've tried to install DU4.0 on a client-system via RIS from
> our Server (DU3.2D-1), but this completely failed.
>
> ris cannot find any subsets on the CD, even if you try to extract a
> subset with setld -x, the setld-command gives you a list to choose
> which subset should be extracted, but then it cannot copy the subset
>
> # setld : cp /cdmnt/ALPHA/BASE/OSFBASE400 : file not found
>
> On the CD (labeled DU4.0 May 1996) are all the required subsets missing.
> In the directory ALPHA/BASE the only file is a directory named instctrl,
> but there are no subsets like OSFBASE400.
>
> All CD's before (e.g. DU3.2C) have a structure like this
>
>  ALPHA/BASE/instctrl   (Installation Control)
>  ALPHA/BASE/OSFBASE350 (Compressed Data)
>  ALPHA/BASE/ ......    (other OS - Subsets)
>
> Instead of this the DU4.0 CD contains a complete UNIX-Tree of DU4.0
>
>  /dev
>  /usr
>  /bin
>  etc ...
>
> I have called our local customer support, but i,ve got no answer yet
> (maybe DU4.0 is still too new in Germany).
>
> My question to all managers who have installed DU4.0 sucessfully :
>
> Does the directory-structure of your CD looks like this or are there
> any differences. Maybe i am a "lucky one" and got a BETA-Release or
> something like that.
>
> TIA
>
>    S.Hergeth (hergeth@f7axp1.informatik.fh-muenchen.de)
>    UNIX - SystemManager
>    Fachhochschule Muenchen
>    FB Informatik/Mathematik
>    D-80323 Muenchen
>    GERMANY

Many thanks to Dave Parker (Digital Equipment Corporation)

The solution is

You need to update your RIS utility.  Please read Chapter 3 in the
"Guide to
Sharing Software on a Local Area Network".  It describes the process in
detail.

Dave

Dave Parker, Installation Group                 E-Mail   djp@unx.dec.com
USG/UESG                                                 unxa::parker
Digital Equipment Corporation
Manalapan, NJ 07726

The documentation can be found on the DU4.0 Docu-CD in the
HTML-Directory

Thanks to all responded.

Have a nice day

Stefan Hergeth