List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Memory Usage
From:       "<cceckw () leonis ! nus ! sg>" <cceckw () leonis ! nus ! sg>
Date:       1996-01-20 4:30:53

Dear OSF Experts,

We're running DU 3.2c on a DEC 7000 machine with 1 GB of real memory.
I'm trying to account for the memory.  This is an approximation taken
when the memory is fully utilized (system is paging out consistently)
when there are close to 500 users in the system.

1.	total of rss values in a ps output	600 MB
2.	memory assigned to ubc
	(from FS field in vmubc)		200 MB

	TOTAL					800 MB

Where have the remaining 200 MB gone to?  Am I missing something?
Our available memory shown in the uerf report shows approx. 998 MB.

Other details: VM field in vmubc shows approx. 800 MB
	       (ie memory assigned the the VM system)
	       ubc_borrowpercent=20 (which explains the FS value above)

How about wired memory?  Are they included in the rss field of ps?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
Chang
  Chang Koon Wang
  National University of Singapore
  Computer Centre				     Tel: 772-2477
  10, Kent Ridge Crescent			     Fax: 778-0198
  Singapore 0511				Internet: cceckw@nus.sg