List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY: PS|CD
From:       Gyula Szemenyei <szemgy () boss ! rkk ! hu>
Date:       1995-10-31 18:25:22

Hi folks,

sorry for my late, I've moved.

>My origanal problem was:
>When I typed ps|cd under c-shell I had been logged out
>I use OSF/1 v2.0

On v2.0 with other shells (sh, ksh, etc) no problem.
On v3.0, v3.2 with csh no problem.
On Solaris 2.4: Reset tty pgrp from 16354 to 15301

Fergal Mc Carthy <fergal@ilo.dec.com> wrote:

  The problem here is that ps is a system command where as cd is a
shell command, i.e. the shell executes the chdir() itself. By piping
ps into cd you probably caused the shell to crash (which shell? csh?)
which results in you being logged out since it is your login.

  So it isn't really a system bug; it's a problem of the shell. If the
shell is not csh or sh then report it to the shell maintainers. If it
is csh, well csh has many such bugs/features which are not likely to
be fixed as they are sometimes relied upon.
-------

Many thanks to:
"Michael A. Crowley" <mcrowley@mhc.mtholyoke.edu>
Fergal Mc Carthy <fergal@ilo.dec.com>
Daniel Clar <Daniel.Clar@supelec.fr>
"Jean-Louis Oneto (+33) 93.40.53.80" <oneto@ocar01.obs-azur.fr>
Stam Nicolis <nicolis@celfi.phys.univ-tours.fr>
Dave Newbold <phdmn@siva.bris.ac.uk>
bkain1@ford.com
Phil Krause <phil@wolf.ncat.edu>
Patrick O'Brien <pobrien@draco.harvard.edu>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb@zk3.dec.com>

Regards,
	Gyula Szemenyei

|  Head of Computing Centre   |H-6000 Kecskemet, Rakoczi ut. 3|
| Centre for Regional Studies |P.O. Box 261.                  |
|Hungarian Academy of Sciences|Tel./Fax: (+36)-76-482-193     |
|          E-mail:szemgy@rkk.hu, postmaster@rkk.hu            |