List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY (problem solved) netgroups in /etc/hosts.equiv
From:       Julyan Cartwright <julyan () hp1 ! uib ! es>
Date:       1995-10-30 21:57:33

Finally, I've cracked it!

Just to recap, my problem was:
> > I can't seem to get the Alphas here (3000/500's running 3.2C) to use a
> > netgroup entry in /etc/hosts.equiv.
> >
> > I have set up some netgroups on our NIS master and exported them via NIS to
> > the other machines. On an NIS client I can check that the netgroups are
> > exported OK;
> > ypcat -k netgroup returns:
> > CondMat (hp1.uib.es,,) (idefix.uib.es,,) (galiota.uib.es,,)
> (obelix.uib.es,,) (mendieta.uib.es,,) (panoramix.uib.es,,) (estrenc.uib.es,,)
> (formentor.uib.es,,) (llucalcari.uib.es,,)
> >
> > I then add the line:
> > +@CondMat
> > to /etc/hosts.equiv
> >
> > On the other machines here (HP, Sun), this works fine - I can rlogin
> without
> > password between machines, but on the Alphas, it doesn't. It seems that the
> > Alphas are taking no notice of the netgroup line in the /etc/hosts.equiv
> file.
> > (I do have the line netgroup=yp in the /etc/svc.conf file.)
After my intermediate summary on Friday I got more help from:
Steve Thompson <steve@cheme.cornell.edu>
"Dave Wolinski, University of Michigan" wolinski@umalp1.physics.lsa.umich.edu
Kurt Watkins <watkins@chop.SWMed.EDU>
ken_simpson@tmai.com (Kenneth Simpson)
"Danny J. Mitzel" <dmitzel@everest.hitc.com>
Shiu Tin <shiu@rsphy1.anu.edu.au>
Grant Ward <gaward@cssip.edu.au>
Thanks to all of you - I appreciate it.

And now to the resolution of the mystery...
...capital letters don't work in netgroup entries in /etc/hosts.equiv.
Change CondMat to condmat above and everything is fine!

Can you believe it - finding this out has taken a good percentage of 3 days of
my time! I came upon the solution through pure frustration, simply trying
out everything I could think of. This 'feature' is not documented anywhere.
By the way, capital letters are fine with the HPs here, but Suns with SunOS
4.X don't like capitals any more than the Alphas do... So why did I use
capitals in the first place - I was trying to make sure the netgroup entries
were easily distinguishable from host names... (If anyone from the relevent
part of DEC is listening - please document this feature in the man page to
save some other poor innocent from torment.)

I now have netgroups in hosts.equiv working fine, but there's one thing
that has me annoyed trying to use then in /etc/exports, which is that I
need to export a filesystem like this
/users -root=machine1:machine2:...,-access=machineN
and this cannot be done with netgroups, since the -root option only accepts
a list of hostnames and not a netgroup (whereas the -access option works
fine with netgroups). A small thing, I know, but it would have made my life
easier if I could have used a netgroup there. Enough griping,
and thanks again everyone for your help,
	Julyan
--
Julyan Cartwright                   Email    julyan@hp1.uib.es
Departament de Fisica               NeXTmail julyan@obelix.uib.es