List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    configuring CAP on the Alpha
From:       nicolis () celfi ! phys ! univ-tours ! fr
Date:       1995-10-30 21:13:13

Hi,
I'm trying to configure CAP on an Alpha so that an ordinary user can print
to a LaserWriter Pro 630. I have succeeded in compiling with Native Ethertalk
and Phase 2 compatibility and aarpd, atlooklws and lwpr all work. Reading
print.cookbook I understood the following:

1. I had to create a group in /etc/groups (which I called enet) and made
/dev/pf and its contents owner root and group enet with permissions crw-rw----

2. I made the input filter lw2if in the cap60/bin owned by root and set-gid
to enet (as well as th output filter papof).

3. I created the cap60/etc/cap.printers file with th identification
Unix Printer name=name of printer as per atlooklws

4. I created the /etc/printcap as per the print.cookbook and did lpc start
Printer_name

lpq -PPrinter_name indeed confirms that printer is ready and printing. However,
when I send a file to be printer with lpr -PPrinter_name file, it tells me
that the rank is 1st and not active as it should (and indeed the printer
doesn't react). What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Stam