List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    NIS and /etc/passwd question on master server
From:       GANet Engineer <bradb () s1 ! GANet ! NET>
Date:       1995-10-29 23:50:44

Here is my situation:

We have a DEC Alpha and a Sun SPARC and we would like user account
information stored and maintained on the DEC and shell accounts to be
permitted on the SPARC through verification by NIS from the DEC.

What I need:

Is to have the DEC master NIS server NOT allow logins for entries in the
NIS passwd file.  I could do a make on the NIS server and change the
/etc/passwd file to something else (like /etc/passwd.nis) for NIS
accounts.  Here is the question:

1.  The adduser script says "NIS detected, refer to network configuration
    guide for how to add users".  Alas the net config guide does no thave
    any idea.  How do I take all the precautions necessary to
    add/modify/delete accounts in the password file that NIS is to use?
    What if I have C2 security enabled?

2.  I would also be running sendmail on the dec so I would need to server
    to be a client of NIS too (ie +:*: at the end of password).
    Therefore, how do I prevent users with accounts from logging into the
    server because they are only supposed to log onto the SPARC?  Keep in
    mind I want the user to be able to change their shell so a shell wrapper
    to do some secondary authentication wouldn't be too helpful.

Any other tips, hints, or utilities for accomplishing this would be greatly
appreciated!

- Thanks in advance!
Brad Block