List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    X server hanging
From:       David W Lloyd <dwl () cs ! strath ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1995-08-31 11:22:01

Alphastation 200 4/100 with Mach64 graphics card running OSF/1 3.2...

I've come across a situation that causes my X server to hang (must be killed
by remotely logging in).

>From an xterm rlogin to a Sun (running SunOS or Solaris).
Edit a file using vi and enter a line that is more than 80 characters -

eg. 	vi afile
	ia<ESC>80ib<ESC>

which enters the letter 'a' and then 80 'b' characters.  Only 79 'b'
characters are inserted (the point at which the line should wrap) and my whole
X session freezes and Xdec must be killed.

This does not happen when using a dxterm, or if the terminal type is changed
to vt100 when using the xterm.  It also happens if the xterm is running
remotely on a Sun and displaying on my alpha box.

I've reported the problem to DEC but they don't currently have any ideas on
what is causing the problem.

We also have a 200 4/233 with ZLXp-E1 graphics card, which doesn't show
the above behaviour.

I'm suspicious that it is a problem relating to the Mach64 card and the
X server.

Anyone got ideas on a possible cause or fix?

Thanks,

Dave.

David Lloyd                              | email: d.lloyd@cs.strath.ac.uk
Computer Science, Strathclyde University |
26 Richmond Street, Glasgow              | Phone: +44 (0)141 552 4400 ext 3592
Scotland  G1 1XH                         | FAX:   +44 (0)141 552 5330