List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Shared library timestamp problems
From:       Jonathan Rozes <jrozes () tufts ! edu>
Date:       1995-02-27 16:37:14

Hiya--

I have replaced the static and shared libc on one of our boxes here with
the patched version from ftp.service.digital.com. The timestamp on the
shared library is different from that of the original, which has the
nasty side effect of making it impossible to set the QUICKSTART flag on
binaries that use shared libraries that depend on libc.

For a particular program that required libcurses, I regenerated the
shared library from libcurses.a and used that. The only thing that
worried me about that was that the new shared library was not the same
size as the one in /usr/shlib (both were not stripped and were built with
the same compiler driver). Other libraries relinked from the static
achives were also slightly larger than the existing shared objects.

So I guess my question is: Is there a way to simply modify the TIME_STAMP
field of an object? I would rather do a cheap and dirty hack to make my
current libc have the same timestamp as the old one than to relink all of
my other shared libraries that depend on the old libc's timestamp (and
to capitalize, I'm nervious about the file size differences).

Thanks,
jonathan

+++ Jonathan Rozes, jrozes@tufts.edu, jrozes@cs.tufts.edu
+++ http://www.tufts.edu/~jrozes/
+++ Mind Over Liver: The liver probably contains 100 million cells, but
    1,000 livers do not add up to a rich inner life. <GDF:SA 09/92>