List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    bootp on alpha
From:       Dan Stromberg - OAC-CSG <strombrg () hydra ! acs ! uci ! edu>
Date:       1995-01-31 21:03:36

Andrew, you've been very helpful - and despite that, I think it might
make sense to take this to the list.

I'm finding, that if I start a bootp-boot on an NCD, I can detect the
ensuing network activity with "snoop" under Solaris 2.4, and that a
"truss -f -p" of inetd (again under Solaris 2.4) shows some
bootp-related activity.  Neither is true when I try to boot our
alphastation with bootp, using either "boot ewa0" or "boot ewa0 -pro
bootp".  Given neither snoop nor truss/inetd see anything, I think I
need to be doing something differently on the dec bootp client.

I'm puzzled what it could be, tho, and do not have tons of
documentation handy.

Could it be that the dec needs a bootp server's IP address defined, in
some magic eprom environment variable, instead of broadcasting for a
server?

What have you been doing in your prom, to get the boot going?

Is there something (a device file?) I can dd|strings on, to see what
eprom variables have meanings?

Just for fun (and my own records), here's the packet I'm seeing from
the NCD, as decoded by snoop:

ETHER:  ----- Ether Header -----
ETHER:
ETHER:  Packet 49 arrived at 14:06:50.86
ETHER:  Packet size = 342 bytes
ETHER:  Destination = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, (broadcast)
ETHER:  Source      = 0:0:a7:12:3d:c3, Network Computing Devices (NCD  X-termin
al)
ETHER:  Ethertype = 0800 (IP)
ETHER:
IP:   ----- IP Header -----
IP:
IP:   Version = 4
IP:   Header length = 20 bytes
IP:   Type of service = 0x00
IP:         xxx. .... = 0 (precedence)
IP:         ...0 .... = normal delay
IP:         .... 0... = normal throughput
IP:         .... .0.. = normal reliability
IP:   Total length = 328 bytes
IP:   Identification = 0
IP:   Flags = 0x0
IP:         .0.. .... = may fragment
IP:         ..0. .... = last fragment
IP:   Fragment offset = 0 bytes
IP:   Time to live = 255 seconds/hops
IP:   Protocol = 17 (UDP)
IP:   Header checksum = baa5
IP:   Source address = 0.0.0.0, OLD-BROADCAST
IP:   Destination address = 255.255.255.255, BROADCAST
IP:   No options
IP:
UDP:  ----- UDP Header -----
UDP:
UDP:  Source port = 68
UDP:  Destination port = 67
UDP:  Length = 308
UDP:  Checksum = 0000 (no checksum)
UDP:

...it looks like the packet was sent from a bootpc port, to a bootps
port:

bingy-strombrg> ypcat -k services | grep boot
68/udp bootpc          68/udp
67/udp bootps           67/udp

In message <199501301909.AA15286@hydra.acs.uci.edu>you write: