List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Very slow process list on Tru64 V5.1B-1
From:       Karl Vogel <karl.vogel () seagha ! com>
Date:       2004-08-06 9:57:22

I noticed that on 1 node of my 2 node cluster, the load average went
through the roof at regular intervals. After some investigation, I
think it is caused by a very slow 'ps' output (since the CAA subsystem
scripts use 'ps' a lot).

On my primary node:

$ time ps -e|wc -l
    169

real    0m0.099s
user    0m0.017s
sys     0m0.084s

On the secondary node:

$ time ps -e|wc -l
    143

real    0m4.999s <<< !
user    0m0.023s
sys     0m4.936s

Does anybody have any idea why the 'ps -e' on the second node takes
this long? If I do a plain 'ps', it will return quickly.

Any hints, tips?!

Karl