List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Max number of users in a group ?
From:       Matthias Reichling <reichling () rz ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       2003-09-29 11:20:21

What is the maximal number of users who belong to a single group?
I tested with a group containing about 4000 users, but I couldn't build
the NIS map.
And using /etc/group it seemed to me that (at least some) users in the big
group aren't recognized (they can't access files with persmissions 660 in
a directory with permissions 770 owned by that group).

And, of course, if there is a limit, how could it be modified?

Regards,

Matthias Reichling
Computing center
University of Wuerzburg