List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Summary: printing to T64V4.0g from W2K
From:       Frank Chu-Cheong <frank () digi-data ! com>
Date:       2003-01-10 12:12:10

Many thanks to the following especially Ernie LaBonte.

Lucio Chiappetti suggested two courses of action depending on how I wanted to see the \
                printer.
-  If as a "Microsoft network" printer (like a printer attached to another PC), use  \
SAMBA. He also noted that "with SAMBA you have to pass through the printcap of a Unix \
machine, even if the printer is a network printer and not physically attached to a  \
                serial or parallel port of the Unix machine "
- or as a TCP-IP printer. In such case you have to install a printer spooler on the  \
PC. Again he noted "An advantage of the spooler is that you can turn it on and off  \
when you want. Another advantage is that in this way you can print directly to a \
TCPIP  network printer".

Peter Stern and Rost,Werner both said the same thing:
enter the hostname or ip number of the W2k machine in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.

Pat O'Brien and Ernie LaBonte both noted: If you want to use Tru64 for job queuing,  \
configure a remote lpd printcap entry to the LaserJet 4000 printer thus eliminating \
any potential print filter conflicts. Keep the current printcap entry for local  \
printing.

Ernie LaBonte went into great detail:
For Windows 2000

	- add printer
	- local printer
	  - Create new port
	    LPR Port

	  - Name/address of server providing lpd
	    Tru64 UNIX system name
                remote print queue name

	- Select printer and finish the configuration

On the UNIX side (sample printcap entry):
	remote|lp8:\
		:lf=/usr/adm/lperr_remote:\
		:lp=:\
		:rm=printer.com:\
		:rp=RAW:\
		:sd=/usr/spool/print/remote:

The rp values are RAW and TEXT. When TEXT is used the printer will provide simple \
text  formatting. RAW is used to print the data without any formatting by the \
printer.  Windows 2000 has already formatted the file and we don't want the printer \
to mess with  it, so RAW is used.  He also provided some great trouble shooting \
hints:

	1) Test the basic ability to connect and print.

	  > echo "this is a test" | /usr/lbin/lpf | lpr -Plp7

	  Don't proceed until something prints.

	2) Create a file called /etc/hosts.lpd containing an * character.

	   This file might be required. The * wildcard is used to accept
	   print requests from all systems.

	3) Some printers are case sensitive so change the printcap from

	  :rp=raw:\   to   :rp=RAW:\

	4) When there isn't any printing activity enter

	   > ps ax | grep lpd

	   You should only see one /usr/lbin/lpd process. If you see more than
	   one enter:

	   > /sbin/init.d/lpd stop
 	   > /sbin/init.d/lpd start

If you get to the point where the file prints followed by a page containing User Host \
Class and Job information, add :sh:\ to the printcap entry to disable the printer  \
generated page. .

Final Comments(my own): SAMBA does exactly what Lucio said it would.
Printing failed When the ip address of the W2K machine was entered in the   \
/etc/hosts.lpd file, but was sucessful when the * wildcard was used. This was true  \
for  both Tru64 V4.0G on an AS4000 and Tru64 V5.1A on an ES40. Once again, many \
thanks. frank

Problem Statement follows:
I would like to send print jobs from a W2k machine to a printer configured
on a Alpha Server 4000 running T64 V4.0g
The printcap entry for the printer in question is as follows:
lp|lp0|0:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Chplj4000tn.pcf:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lperr:\
        :lp=@hp/hp_printer:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Chplj4000tn.pcf:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#0:\
        :rw:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:

I have played around with Windows trying to make this happen, but without
any luck.
My question is: what do I have to do on the UNIX side to make this happen?
Additionally, any pointers to relevant documentation would be appreciated.
thanks. frank.