List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    Printer Problems
From:       Lisa.Morris () victorreinz ! com
Date:       2002-04-30 14:07:06

I am running version 5.1 and I am having printer problems.  I have read and
tried everything in the System Administrators Guide and nothing works!!
Nothing will print out - when I try to print - I receive this error:

Job Number is: 71
lpr: connect: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

I did an lpc status:

# lpc status
hpcolor_text:
        printer is on remote host feahpc with name text
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
hpcolor_grp:
        printer is on remote host feahpc with name raw
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present

this is what the lpstat -t looks like:

lpstat -t
System default destination: lp
Scheduler is running
Output for printer hpcolor_text is sent to remote printer text on feahpc
Output for printer hpcolor_grp is sent to remote printer raw on feahpc
hpcolor_text:
        printer is on remote host feahpc with name text
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
hpcolor_grp:
        printer is on remote host feahpc with name raw
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present
Requests on hpcolor_text:
vrdfeasrv.danavictor.com: Tue Apr 30 08:27:15 2002:
No entries

Requests on hpcolor_grp:

vrdfeasrv.danavictor.com: Warning: no daemon present
vrdfeasrv.danavictor.com: Tue Apr 30 08:36:33 2002:
Rank   Pri Owner      Job     Files                              Total Size
1st    0   root       71      lisa.txt                             32 bytes

No entries

Since it said it could not start the daemon - I started it:

# /sbin/init.d/lpd start
Printer service started

Still nothing - it just sits in the queue.  I hope I gave everyone enough
information.  This is not a new printer setup - everyone has been printing
okay for years.  Not sure what happened or what I can do to fix the problem
- but any help would be appreciated.

Lisa Morris