List:       tru64-unix-managers
Subject:    kernel stack not valid
From:       Sauri Gudlavalleti <sauri_g () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 20:59:02

Dear Gurus,

We have an alpha XP1000, 667MHz, 1024MB RAM, 3 Hard
Disks (18.2GB). Running Tru64-5.1.

A short while ago a user tried running a program
requiring lots of memory (display intensive),
<Powerstorm350>. The process hung, and while trying to
close the window, the machine crashed - halted.

When I try to reboot, it says

halt code 2
kernel stack not valid halt

Well, very little info on this on the archives. I
recently re-installed the O/S. I didn't do a firmware
upgrade, and don't remember what version it was, but
the previous O/S was OSF4.0F, so its got to be related
to that. (update 5.4 atleast).

I just booted off of the firmware update CDRom, and it
was unable to boot using the default kernel. nor the
generic kernel. it did claim to, in the end, update
firmware.

It still does not boot. Same error.

Any ideas?