List:       trousers-users
Subject:    Re: [TrouSerS-users] Unique TPM-id string
From:       Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren () telia ! com>
Date:       2010-12-02 15:19:22

Ariel Segall wrote:
> The EK is certainly the closest thing you'll find to a unique TPM ID;
> it's not *quite* one-to-one with TPMs, but it will be in normal usage.
>
> That said, whether hashing it is the correct answer for your system
> depends a lot on what your goals are. If you're just looking for an
> identifier with no proof attached? Sure, that's fine. If you're going to
> want to prove that, say, a licensed machine is the one contacting your
> central server, you probably want to use identity keys instead so
> that you can actually sign a response or get a quote about current
> machine state. Identity keys are not unique per TPM, but they *are*
> unique *to* a TPM, and will serve just as well or better for almost all
> applications.

Yes, the EK is "crippled by design" so it can't sign.
Identity keys need to be enrolled however making it an awkward "workaround".

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Apple in their "MTM" will have a built-in
unique platform credential that indeed can sign when you get the device.
That's a part of GlobalPlatform specification featured in hundreds of millions of SIM-cards.

http://www.smartcardstrends.com/det_atc.php?idu=13258

Anders