List:       trac
Subject:    Re: [Trac] [TracTicketChangeLogPlugin] eats up server
From:       Torge Riedel <torgeriedel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2015-02-15 13:19:16

Am 21.01.2015 um 07:53 schrieb Ryan Ollos:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Torge Riedel <torgeriedel@gmx.de \
> <mailto:torgeriedel@gmx.de>> wrote:
> Am 21.01.2015 um 05:26 schrieb Ryan Ollos:
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Torge Riedel <torgeriedel@gmx.de \
> <mailto:torgeriedel@gmx.de> <mailto:torgeriedel@gmx.de \
> <mailto:torgeriedel@gmx.de>>> wrote:
> Hi @all,
>
> just got a server shutdown by my provider caused by 100% CPU load by apache \
> processes.
> After reactivation I played around and found the following:
>
> - I have TracTicketChangeLogPlugin installed (the latest version from repo, updated \
>                 on 18th January 2015)
> - If I view a ticket with 3 entries in the commit history I get an apache process \
>                 with 100% CPU load, staying at this level
> - Killing this process raises another one reaching 100% CPU load, staying at this \
>                 level
> - Killing the second process too reduces the server load to a normal level
> - After deactivation of the plugin I can view any ticket without a problem
> -> seems to be related to the ticket
>
> Any ideas?
> I'm sure that I had no problems with this plugin of an older version.
>
> Regards
> Torge
>

> Which branch have you installed from, 0.12 or 1.0? What is the version of the \
> plugin? I don't see anything in recent changes that looks concerning, but you could \
> try rolling back to that earlier version of the plugin and check if the issue \
> occurs with that one ticket. What version / revision were you running prior to \
> updating the plugin on 18th of Jan? Can you reproduce the issue with more that one \
> of the tickets in your system?
> The TracTicketChangeLogPlugin runs a LIKE query on the revision table on every \
> request. I'm no database performance expert, but that has concerned me since I \
> first started looking at the plugin. An outline of changes for improving the plugin \
> can be found here: http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/__11821 \
> <http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/11821>
> --
>
> Installed vom Branch 1.0 ("TracTicketChangelogPlugin 1.0.0dev" is displayed in the \
> "Plugins" section of the "Admin" menu).
> I will try stepping back revision by revision to see when this "issue was added."
>

> Thanks, that will be very helpful info. In the event that you started on the 0.12 \
> branch and later switched to the 1.0 branch, it would be useful to test the 0.12 \
> branch again. In the 0.12 branch the features are mostly implemented in JavaScript. \
> In the 1.0 branch the plugin is mostly implemented in Python and a Genshi template. \
>  But I think at first it is a good idea to update from trac 1.0.1 to 1.0.3 to make \
> sure there are no side effects.
>

> --

Sorry, was very busy for a while.
Today I found the time to check it again. At first I updated to Trac-1.0.4 and \
activated TracTicketChangeLogPlugin. I get the 100% CPU usage again as soon as I want \
to view a ticket with related commits. I tried with 0.12 branch of the plugin and it \
works without any problems.

Here is my log pattern (list all commits where this ticket is mentioned):

[ticketlog]
log_pattern = (\n|.)*#%s($|\D(\n|.)*)

Trac about page:

Paket	Version
Trac 	1.0.4
Babel 	0.9.6
FullBlog 	0.1.1
Genshi 	0.6 (with speedups)
mod_wsgi 	3.3 (WSGIProcessGroup WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL})
MySQL 	server: "5.5.41-0ubuntu0.12.04.1", client: "5.5.41", thread-safe: 1
MySQLdb 	1.2.3
Pygments 	1.4
Python 	2.7.3 (default, Dec 18 2014, 19:25:50) [GCC 4.6.3]
setuptools 	0.6
Subversion 	1.6.17 (r1128011)

System:
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more information.

Regards
Torge